Baby Banter: Reborn Dolls Forum
Scratches to vinyl - Printable Version

+- Baby Banter: Reborn Dolls Forum (https://www.reborndolls.com.au)
+-- Forum: Reborn Dolls: Baby banter (https://www.reborndolls.com.au/Forum-reborn-dolls-baby-banter)
+--- Forum: Information gathering (https://www.reborndolls.com.au/Forum-information-gathering)
+--- Thread: Scratches to vinyl (/Thread-scratches-to-vinyl)

Pages: 1 2

Scratches to vinyl - Missly - 05-02-2014

I did something rather silly and ended up scratching the head of a doll I was working on. I'm afraid it's very noticeable as there are quite a few scratches. Is there any way to smooth them out.? If not, it looks like I'll have a practice head. Just thought I'd ask first anyway.
Lesson learned!! :/

RE: Scratches to vinyl - andama - 05-02-2014

soft sand paper should take them out, we sand the heads of berenguers all the time and it works well.

take your time, rub lightly

cheers

RE: Scratches to vinyl - Missly - 05-02-2014

Oh my goodness you are a lifesaver when I thought all was lost! I will be doing this for sure. I have the patience. Thank you so much.

RE: Scratches to vinyl - andama - 05-03-2014

let me know how you go

cheers

RE: Scratches to vinyl - Missly - 05-06-2014

Many thanks Andama the sandpaper worked a treat. I rocked up to the local hardware store carrying a bag of baby goodies purchased at K Mart and asked the fellow there for some sandpaper. He wanted to know what it was for so I told him it was to smooth the baby's head. He did give me a rather strange look! LOL
Ended up with the finest sandpaper and had to use it wet apparently. I'm not into hardware stores. That's men's secret business!! Ha Ha.

RE: Scratches to vinyl - andama - 05-06-2014

Glad to hear it worked out for you. With kits now being custom made for us most people don't remember the good ole days of having to sand heads before we could root the hair and it is nice to know that these tips and tricks still come in handy

cheers

RE: Scratches to vinyl - MZZJAYE - 12-13-2017

Hiii
Question..sooo after you sand the scratch away, than do you repaint the spot with several thin layers of paint again? Than seal that area again?
My scratch is near the hairline, very noticeable. I nicked the vinyl with scissors, when I was trimming the hair.

RE: Scratches to vinyl - andama - 12-14-2017

If you sand the doll once it has been painted then you have all new issues, I am not sure you would be able to repair it as it may be a case of completely redoing the entire head.

I do not use sealer so am not au fait with removing it but others here do so they may be able to help you

cheers

RE: Scratches to vinyl - pia - 12-14-2017

(12-13-2017, 01:50 AM)MZZJAYE Wrote: Hiii
Question..sooo after you sand the scratch away,  than do you repaint the spot with several thin layers of paint again? Than seal that area again?
My scratch is near the hairline, very noticeable. I nicked the vinyl with scissors, when I was trimming the hair.

Oh WOW! I haven't got an answer to your problem, but wanted to offer sympathy! Can you extend the hairline to root over the scratch?

RE: Scratches to vinyl - andama - 12-14-2017

I was wondering the same thing Pia about moving the hair line

cheers