Baby Banter: Reborn Dolls Forum
Non Toxic Thinner for Genesis Paints - Printable Version

+- Baby Banter: Reborn Dolls Forum (https://www.reborndolls.com.au)
+-- Forum: Reborn Dolls: Baby banter (https://www.reborndolls.com.au/Forum-reborn-dolls-baby-banter)
+--- Forum: Reborn Products (https://www.reborndolls.com.au/Forum-reborn-products)
+--- Thread: Non Toxic Thinner for Genesis Paints (/Thread-non-toxic-thinner-for-genesis-paints)

Non Toxic Thinner for Genesis Paints - rach2184 - 08-06-2011

Hi ladies,

I have been reading the many posts on the web in general regarding the toxicity of cooking vinyl inside etc but have recently had the fact that the odourless thinner we use is also toxic... You aren't meant to get it on your skin even and wear gloves etc. Well i am always pretty covered in it during painting and never wear gloves so i am wondering whether anyone can recommend another option for use with genesis paints which is non toxic?

Also i have bought a Hallogen/turbo convection oven from Harvey Norman to put on the back deck but my Arianna legs are too big. Can anyone recommend a Hallogen oven which is big enough to fit her legs in? Oh and yes i am alreayd using the rings LOL

Thanks Smile

RE: Non Toxic Thinner for Genesis Paints - andama - 08-06-2011

I think you may have to use the heat gun on her legs if you don't want to use your own oven. You can use your oven at odd times but the house needs to be open and empty so to speak and you need to clean it after heating.

These dolls have never been recommended for children and it is mostly because of the paints , If a child is going to stick any part of the doll in its mouth then of course there will be issues but really they would have to do this an awful lot for it to be a problem.

There is a saying that goes "Even paradise has its price" and in this case it is a case of following the guide lines or perhaps use air dry paints but honestly any paint will come with warning lol.

I wear a latex glove on the hand I use to dab paint and a cloth glove on the hand that holds the dolls parts. I always do this making sure I don't get oil on my hands and to make sure oil from my other hand does not get on the doll during the painting process.
There is a point where people can go to an extreme and also where people will cause artists to panic so do the right thing weigh up your options and tell the scare mungers to bog off. lol
cheers

cheers

RE: Non Toxic Thinner for Genesis Paints - rach2184 - 08-06-2011

LOL thanks so much Andi... It is frustrating...

I have the real effects paints here but haven't tried them as yet as i am a little scared cause they are so new to me.

My daughter has a reborn baby, actually a couple of them. Is that bad of her to have as she is still little? I never even thought of it until you mentioned it here LOL

Do you wear a facemask or anything when panting?

I have a heat gun, or a heat tool from Vynettes but i could never get the hang of it..

I just don't want to be causing myself or the kids harm...

RE: Non Toxic Thinner for Genesis Paints - ordinary miracles reborn - 08-07-2011

don't be scared of the air drys Rach nothing to be scared of at all lol
hugs gayle

RE: Non Toxic Thinner for Genesis Paints - andama - 08-07-2011

I dont wear a face mask when I do the dolls but when I dry them I do have all the doors open.

I think that reborns are not recommended for children because of the fill etc and the effects of paint is still debatable lol

cheers

RE: Non Toxic Thinner for Genesis Paints - rach2184 - 08-07-2011

(08-07-2011, 04:38 PM)ordinary miracles reborn Wrote: don't be scared of the air drys Rach nothing to be scared of at all lol
hugs gayle

LOL i really want to try them. I have the brush set and the paints LOL
Have had for 2 months now, but time has been an issue and the fact that i am a little clueless as to where to start!!

I want to try though Smile

(08-07-2011, 06:39 PM)andama Wrote: I dont wear a face mask when I do the dolls but when I dry them I do have all the doors open.

I think that reborns are not recommended for children because of the fill etc and the effects of paint is still debatable lol

cheers

Thanks Andi... Perhaps i need to try the air dry paints or use my heat tool a bit LOL

I went and bought a Tiffany convection oven like Juliette from April Showers has, and the silly thing wouldn't reach temp. Then i returned it and got a new one and it is doing the same thing. Plus it is taking FOREVER to dry the paint because only the limbs fit in one bake, then the arms another, then the head and then the tummy plate AHHHH!!!

Luckily my husband has a friend who has just renovated his kitchen so looks like we will be stealing his electric oven so that we can put it on the back deck Smile