Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe Buying
SAFE BUYING for reborn doll Collectors

We are hearing more and more from reborn doll collectors about how bad some artists are and the sad state some of these reborn babies are actually in when they finally arrive so here are some tips and hints for buyers and collectors of reborn dolls.

Safe buying
is also about smart buying and researching the person you are buying from.
1. It is not recommended buying from an artist that does not have a website.
2. EBay is not considered a website no matter how good the feedback.
3. Contact details other than an email address are important so check to see there is an address other than a PO BOX and a phone number other than a mobile.
4. Read testimonials and compare them to adoption photos or information.
5. Check the net for information about the artist and the site.
6. Sites with Blogs and forums are considered safer than basic site.
7. Ad free websites are considered safer for shopping and buying from.
8. Make sure there are lots of photos of the baby or product you are buying and if not ask for some.
9. Ask what comes with the baby you are buying and if the outfit or outfits in the photos are included.
10. Ask how the baby is shipped and expected time of arrival.
11. It is not considered safe buying from a site that does not list prices with the babies.
12. If you are ordering a custom made baby ask the time it will take to make and not an estimated time as a couple of weeks may well stretch into months.
13. Ask for progress reports and photos if getting a custom baby
14. Ask about the artist on other forums or websites
15. Never never never be afraid to voice when you are upset about a baby you have paid for, contact the artist sort out the issues and if you are still not happy then please voice the problems as it will help others avoid being caught the same way.

DO NOT BUY from an artist who does not have website or contact details and again remember EBay is not considered a website and if an artists does not have site then ask yourself WHY?
[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com

Save
Some good advice Andama but there is some things I disagree with also
I don't necessarily think it is a good idea to give out your address and home phone number - there are some very strange people out there also I don't think you need to list prices on your website - there is usually a contact form for getting additional info and photos if you don't have a web store. You have to be very careful these days who you give your personal info to
Karen
[Image: corbinfullbody.jpg] [Image: ebay15-1-1.jpg]
I totally understand what you are saying about an address Karen as I feel the same way and also with a land line, I perhaps should have mentioned that a phone number should be printed on the automatic receipt when someone buys a baby online.

There are more and more places on line with their address or the areas they are and a phone number and as I said I do agree that people are a worry sometimes however it has been proven that at least one form of real contact does in fact increase both trust and sales .

Not having prices online is again totally up to the store owner however it has been proven that more than half of the people who visit a site with no prices will generally click out and move to another site and I have to admit even I am guilty of doing that lol.

I have prices on my site although once upon a time I didn't and when I changed it I found traffic increased and sales improved. I have to point out at this time that I was pretty set in what my ideas of a website and store were about and of course safety issues were very important. I did however research these issues and of course was lucky enough to have the http://www.webgod.com.au/ build my e-store and he took the time to sit and explain everything about websites in relation to my needs he was also the one who pointed out everything that deters sales and what increases them and I decided to take his advice.
With prices on a site you are committed as well as out there so everyone can see what you charge. I know when I didn't have prices it was because I didn't want other artists to know what I charged which is laughable when I think about it so I guess now is the time to ask what we feel are the pro's and con's about having prices and why we do and don't have them.
I have feeling this discussion may well become an interesting debate lol.

cheers
Andama Dujon

Save
I think it's great advice. I think pricing bubs is important. When I go on a website and see that there are no prices on the bubs, I go "Uh oh, probably can't afford it!"

"If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it." It's what pops into my mind everytime lol
[Image: BabyBanterSiggie.jpg]
I don't have a website Sad
Luv [Image: KateKDRtransp.gif] x

Katescradles
Reborn Artist Catherine Turner
http://pinterest.com/katescradles/

[Image: newlogo.jpg]
(03-14-2013, 07:16 PM)katescradles Wrote: I don't have a website Sad

There are lots of artists who don't have websites Kate and they do well on face book and ebay as well as other auction sites, it is not an issue to have a site however buying from sellers who do not have a registered site or an e commerce site is not recommended by consumer affairs or google and therefor are not considered safe. The bottom line is buyers will buy from who ever they choose, however when it comes to talking about safe selling and buying I will always stand by doing it the recommended way what is considered the safe way.
Lots of artists have commented on this subject over the years and most dont think having a site is necessary and that is fine but offering a safe site is not hard to do. There is a cost as the domain must be registered and your site can not be a free to make site, and you must go through a sever. This makes you traceable and all your details must be public in Australia which many many artists wont do as it means they are subject to the tax laws. I hear many artists say they have a hobby and don't need a website and many who do have websites (free ones) still say they have a hobby and not a business so they can also avoid tax.
If you look at the hundreds of websites that involve reborn dolls there are in fact only a few who are a business and who are professional artists the rest have a hobby lol
This subject will always be a hot topic as many artists take these comments personally which is not what it is, it is just stating the facts and the facts are I promote safe buying and selling policies.

This is interesting reading if you want to have a look

http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content....199712.htm

love to hear what you think

cheers
Andama Dujon

Save
I am interested in having a website to be honest and my nursery name is registered with one & one and I have a starting page saved, I am also registered with the inland revenue as a business, so as soon as I have earned enough, I will be taxed and I'm fine with it as I believe in doing things properly. I really would like to get a nice webpage made and have been looking at a few lately, just not sure how to go about it all Smile

When I looked into doing this as a hobby/business, I read that anything being made by you with a view to selling it, is indeed a business and must be registered with the inland revenue to be legal.. I take this seriously although I'm sure many don't register Sad

Katescradles

deciding on what kind of website we want is worse than decorating a house lol.

I registered with the tax department for my online galleries as I am also a believer in doing the right thing and I plan to make this business bigger lol. I actually am a PTY LTD so of course I use and ABN but most small businesses dont need one of those.
I never looked at re-borning as a hobby it was always an enjoyable business and for the first 9 years I made a least one doll every week, it is only in the last three or four years I slowed right down and now for me it is not just making the baby it is the whole package, clothing and all lol. Plus I like the forums and I love adding things to the websites so for me the business has changed a lot but it has always been fun and for that I am thankful.
I know with websites there is a lot more work than people realize but it is worth it as the net is fantastic for business.
I think it is great when artists get websites and more so when they keep them updated on a regular basis, people tend to get caught up in facebook and ebay both of which are tools but go no further than that.
It is very exiting that you are now sorting your website and I look forward to seeing it when it is done.

cheers
Andama Dujon

Save
I have my eye on an exciting one of a kind web template package, it's quite expensive but I figure it would be worth it for a beautiful page Smile I also need to find out the cost of the hosting too, I guess if I called one & one, they would assist me on this ....x

Katescradles

Let me know if you need help on that as I can give you my guys details as he is good and more importantly he is honest. You really have my interest now and I hope you keep us updated on your progress .

cheers
Andama Dujon

Save