Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needles
42g & 43g German fork from Bountiful baby and Slumberland hair or Susan Nagel - rnagel,@earthlink.net, Although I do like Ruby red dark straight mohair as it tends to be light and whispy. Looks like we pretty much use the same places. :-)
[Image: Judymae.jpg]
Wow Sue, the effect of using different colours is amazing. Love that baby Smile

Cherie Smile
Cherie Ann Smile

Berry Cute Babies
Fantastic idea for a thread! This is all very useful info and is especially good for newbies like me. Smile
I hope I don't sound stupid, but is this topic just for reborn artists or bears also? I haven't heard of any of the companies or needles you're referring to.
Lord, help me to be the person my bears and dolls think I am.
Hi Octobear,

Doesn't sound stupid at all. The needles are the ones used for rooting the hair on reborn dolls. There are quite a few lol. A few of us have been having issues with hair rooting lately (including myslef) and this post was set up so others could share what type and where they buy their needles and mohair from Smile

Cherie Smile
Cherie Ann Smile

Berry Cute Babies
The same needles are used when felting on a bear such as faces noses, paw pads etc but the sizing is a little different. I was taught to use a 36g when starting the felting then tidy up with a 40g. Felting on bears really makes a bear look beautiful and adds to the expression more so that just sculpting a face. I would have to say the best sculpting I have seen is done by a woman called Stephanie from Burringbears and she is also a teacher for those wishing to learn to sculpt.

She does not have a website but when she does I will post a link.

cheers
[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com

Save
I'm pretty new and I don't know what sculpting is. My bears are probably a little different. I don't have a concept of visual beauty, so you have to look with your heart at my bears.
I can not explain the sculpting very well but will give it a go with my limited knowledge although so far I have only been taught one way.

Once I work out where the eyes are going on a bear a use a sinue thread and a large needle and run the thread between the two eyes then pull the ends of the thread to start shaping the face of the bear, which really means to pull it in and you then thread between the eyes again and pull again and keep doing so until you get the face shape you like or want .

I have noticed that many bears have longish faces which in fact look kind of cute and sculpting a face allows people to add more expression I guess. I like bears with any expression but since I have been learning to make them it has been interesting to learn that I can change so many things and take a bear pattern and kind of make the bear mine.

cheers
[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com

Save
I use safety eyes so they'll be child safe. I've been told that glass eyes are very visual and are a pain to put on when you can't see what you're doing. I think if someone could show me what to do I'd be able to do it, but unfortunately there are no bear artists around me, and basically no one who gives a care about bears. Sorry for hijacking again. It's a bad habbit.
Interesting Andama. I had no idea felting needles were used in bear making. My mother in law collects bears and some do have some interesting facial expressions. But I have to admit my favourite ones are the cuddly ones. There is something about giving a bear a squishy cuddle, no matter how old you are Smile

Cherie Smile
Cherie Ann Smile

Berry Cute Babies