Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use matte varnish?
I think I will need to varnish my whole baby as it is shiny. Can I do that and do I mix it with thinner or take it straight from the jar?
HC
I would love to help with your question however I never use mat varnish

cheers
[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com

Save
I do but am new so still experimenting... are you using air dried or GHSP... would be easier for someone on here to help.
Andi... do you not use any varnishes? I had read somewhere that it is un necessary...
I use it cuse I am a braces and belt type! LOL
HuGs KiM
I use thick medium and matte varnish mixed with a few drops of thinner. Pounced on thinly with a cosmetic sponge.
(12-23-2014, 10:02 PM)KimBryss Wrote: I do but am new so still experimenting... are you using air dried or GHSP... would be easier for someone on here to help.
Andi... do you not use any varnishes? I had read somewhere that it is un necessary...
I use it cuse I am a braces and belt type! LOL

The only place I use varnish is the nails and eyes lol

There is actually no reason to use them (varnish) other than to remove shine from over heating the vinyl . Some people feel that varnish protects the paint and stops it from wearing which is not really true as heat set will wear no more or less with or without varnish.
Some people like the finish it gives to the vinyl so I guess it all down to personal choice

cheers

cheers
Andama Dujon

Save
I don't use the varnish to protect the paint. I have found that if the new Mummy regularly dresses and plays with the doll it gets shiny, so the matt varnish stops this happening.
This is interesting to hear, I was led to believe varnish was considered necessary although I haven't used it before. It's nice to hear that others don't use varnish- that's going to save me going on to buy some lol
These dolls are considered works of art and one does not play with an expensive painting lol. I now give my mums cotton gloves to wear when they dress the dolls as it stops the transfer of oil onto the vinyl which in turn stops the shine happening.

I do let the new mums know that it is not a good idea to play with these dolls regularly as once again they are works of art and not toys.

cheers
Andama Dujon

Save