Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
honest opinions please?!!!
Hey all,

I'm attempting my second ever reborn doll so its far from perfect. Just wondering if you can offer any suggestions or constructive criticisms of what I can do better either next time, or to fix this little girl up??

I am still to do the hair yet (not sure whether to wig it or attempt rooting again - it's the bit I lack any skills in!). The last photo is just everything put together to see if it helped picture how she will be. Eyebrows were a first attempt so happy to admit they don't look that great!

thanks in advance,
Kim xx

[img][Image: 035rp.jpg] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

[img][Image: 046mhl.jpg] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

[img][Image: 018uri.jpg] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
The eyebrows look good and so do the lips, the toe nails dont have white tips yet but I am guessing you will get there. The veins on the feet also look good so I would say you were doing pretty good for your second.

Heres a tip when you root the dolls hair make sure you insert the needle so it lays against the head and the only way you will get good at doing the hair is to try it. You should root it and if it really sucks remove it and try again or if you have to then wig it but the down side to wigs is they look awful and the bubs dont sell well..
I think you are doing a lovely job on this girl so far.

cheers
[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com

Save
I think for a second baby you have done really well Smile A couple of things though, I personally think the toenails are a little dark, if may just be the photo but you can look up pictures on the internet of toddlers and babies hands and feet to see where their shading is etc.

The other thing that stood out to me was the veining. The placement is good but I would suggest blending it a little more when you do it so they don't look drawn on. I look back at some of my early babies and it looks like I have drawn my veins on with a pen haha A little tip I do is do my vein then go over it with a touch thicker brush filled with thinners. The veins look like they blend into the skin then Smile

I think you have done a great job on the eyebrows! The more babies you do the more confident you will get. I think as long as we remain open to honest critique then we can always learn something, no matter how long we have been reborning. I definitely look forward to seeing her finished Smile
She is looking adorable, happy little face. I agree with Andi you should attempt the rooting.
[Image: Judymae.jpg]
Honey, she looks great! For a second bub you're doing awesome! Big Grin Be proud of yourself!

I had a heck of a time with rooting just recently. The hair kept breaking making strands super short. I layed the needle as flat as I could (advice from Andama) and it helped, but once again it started to be a problem and I wanted to scream and give up. Kylie mentioned over processed hair will break easily, but I prayed there was another solution/answer. I ended fishing through tutorials on the net and found this one:
http://youtu.be/7Mit9wsha8c

This artist cuts hair a little strange but her technique helped me tremendously!!!! It REALLY helped me holding the hair this way instead of "fanning" it (holding it between first finger and thumb over area as Denise Pratt explained on her DVD). The only way to get better is to keep working at it (as you already know). Also even before I ever rooted one hair, the ladies on here had said everyone finds a style of rooting all their own...so don't be afraid to experiment! Big Grin
[Image: LaurieMarie.jpg]
~Laurie Marie~
Be My Baby Nursery
Wow that looks like an difficult way to root to me but if it works for you then good on you. I think everyone finds their own way to do hair. I fold the hair over so I am holding a loop and I root using the hair in the loop and that works for me lol.It is awful in the learning stage as it can get so frustrating and often many artists think about giving up but take it from me it does get easier and it will improve and it will be worth it.

cheers
[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com

Save
thanks everyone, definitely agree the veining was a little overboard! I was so proud the blue came out so well (on each individual limb) but now she is somewhat assembled you can tell I went overboard.

Decided to try rooting the hair myself. So far ok, although probably chose too thick a needle as the hair will be quite thick. This little face may be able to get away with it though (fingers crossed).
Really appreciate the tips and suggestions Smile
And yes have tried to fix up the white tips and can see the nails are a bit dark...will try to fix this up also. Wouldnt have noticed without you looking!
(12-24-2011, 07:28 PM)andama Wrote: Wow that looks like an difficult way to root to me but if it works for you then good on you. I think everyone finds their own way to do hair. I fold the hair over so I am holding a loop and I root using the hair in the loop and that works for me lol.It is awful in the learning stage as it can get so frustrating and often many artists think about giving up but take it from me it does get easier and it will improve and it will be worth it.

cheers

I tried to loop the hair and it wasn't working for me. I'm left handed and notice many ways artists demonstrate their techniques are more difficult for me to grasp. It's a right handers world out there, I tell you! Oddly enough the way this lady did the hair in the video helped me tons! It's so much faster (for me) although I'd swear Dumplin's head is getting bigger! Just when I think I've made progress, it seems like I'm further away! Tongue
~Laurie Marie~
Be My Baby Nursery
(12-24-2011, 07:28 PM)andama Wrote: Wow that looks like an difficult way to root to me but if it works for you then good on you. I think everyone finds their own way to do hair. I fold the hair over so I am holding a loop and I root using the hair in the loop and that works for me lol.It is awful in the learning stage as it can get so frustrating and often many artists think about giving up but take it from me it does get easier and it will improve and it will be worth it.

cheers

lol I think both of those ways are difficult lol I root from the end and for me find it so much easier and always comes out much nicer than when I have tried to do it any other way lol Good old trial and error for us all to find out own way to do things lol
(12-29-2011, 10:00 PM)Kylie Wrote:

cheers

lol I think both of those ways are difficult lol I root from the end and for me find it so much easier and always comes out much nicer than when I have tried to do it any other way lol Good old trial and error for us all to find out own way to do things lol

You mean you hold it the other way? I'll have to try that too! Big Grin

~Laurie Marie~
Be My Baby Nursery