Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halogen oven V convection oven?
I've got a mini convection oven that I heat my babies in. I carry it out to the garden (unless it's raining, or begins to rain out of the blue- in which case you can see me darting round like a crazy woman trying to get the oven in before it's soaked right through lol). Anyway, I think I need to replace it soon as it has the tendancy to malfunction a little and I've heard that a lot of ladies use halogen ovens with the extension rings. Does anyone know if there's any benefits?

Oh also, does anyone use any airdry paints? Are they any good? I persume you still need to mix odourless thinner with them. I wish their was a way that I didn't have to use thinner- because I hate using toxins which are harmful to us and the enviornment.

Tamara x
Tamara Evie ~ Reborn Doll Artist from England, UK

http://www.facebook.com/tamara.evie.artist

I started with the little benchtop convection and then bought the halogen.

i like the halogen because it is glass and you can see what is the baby doing. It also supposes to use less power. It has a timer which actually switches it off, so if you get distracted the baby does not melt.

However, my timer got stuck on couple of ocassions, and it was only because I was standing close by and after quiete a while noticed that it is still on 8 minutes to go, that i did not have a real disaster.

It also does not fit whole baby in one go. I usually bake 2 heads, or head and arms, and the legs just by themselves. Although smaller kits I would fit the arms with the legs.
When you say it switches off- does it get cool quickly? My mini convection oven turns itself off when the timer goes off but it doesn't cool itself down quick enough to be of any use. You have to open the door for a few minuites for it to go back to being cold.

I like the idea of being able to see more of the baby, rather than just peeping through a small window! Big Grin What size are you using? Perhaps a bigger size with the extension ring would hold more? Thanks x
Tamara Evie ~ Reborn Doll Artist from England, UK

http://www.facebook.com/tamara.evie.artist

My halogen has the ring and it is about 32cm in diameter. i am sure it is the biggest. Not only it is glass but it lights up, so you have a really good view of the parts.

When i first started to make dolls I used to pre-heat the oven to the exact temperature and bake for exactly 8 minutes, and then whip the parts out. Then I watched one tutorial where they place the vinyl in cold oven and then leave it. That is pretty much what I do now. It is very difficult to judge what the temperature really is like in there; although I always have oven thermometer placed inside, it takes a long time to show the temperature. i really only use it to make sure the baby does not get too hot. Every now and then the oven seems to heat up bit more than the temperature it is set on.

Basically, i watch it constantly, if i need to go out of the room I take with me my egg timer set on the remaining time and when it rings, i run back to make sure the oven stop heating. I think once it stops heating the temperature goes down faster than it would in convection oven.

When i finish painting the last layer and detail, I bake it twice, leaving it cool down between the bakes and turning it around, as the area that the part is sitting on does not heat as much as the top.
I love my halogen oven, I have just done another coat of paint on my Meg, she is
20" and fits in the oven. First time I have reborned for about 6 weeks, but want
to have some time to finish this one today, after the main wedding has been watched.
I also have a separate oven in case I get a bigger kit.

[Image: 21alqg0.jpg]
Designer crochet baby clothing 

[Image: 413931162.jpg]

Follow me on Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/threadsbyme/
Yes so do i and i love my Halogen oven my fit 26" Cuddles kit so perfect. And i just learn how to used Air dry paint i do like both you do not need to mix odourless thinner with them, just clean water But Gayle she used the Air dry paint she can help you .
NIM
[Image: inspirationheadermain.gif]
My halogen looks the same as the photo, but I have the big thermometer sitting there. That takes bit of space and being hot metal I leave some of space around it, and I also space the kit parts bit more; just in the case the vinyl sags bit as it gets warm. I had a head loosing balance as it softened with the heat, falling over and getting stuck to leg. Smile
(04-29-2011, 12:37 AM)x.xtamarax.x Wrote: Oh also, does anyone use any airdry paints? Are they any good? I persume you still need to mix odourless thinner with them. I wish their was a way that I didn't have to use thinner- because I hate using toxins which are harmful to us and the enviornment.

Tamara x

I use air drys (real effects) and I am just starting to play around with Luminaire paints) so far the real effects are my fav.
With the real effects you use water and a small amount of what they call "thinner" but its more like a matt varnish and with the luminarie you just use water. I will get back to you by the end of the weekend on if i think the luminarie are any good but so far the real effect beat everything and that include ghsp in my opinion lol I have had Kylie trying out the real effects as well so ask her what she thinks Smile
hugs gayle
Ps I will be doing more air dry tutorial with actual measures so it won't seem so complicated for people new to mixing up the paints

Are the air dry paints as durable as GHSP?
Would 17 litre oven be the size everybody is using? If you put the parts into a cold oven how long do you bake for? I've been reborning for 4 years and I didn't know you shouldn't use your kitchen oven until I joined this forum. What's supposed to happen to you?
hugs,
~ Sandra ~

Kirby Kids Nursery