Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AA Tutorial part A
(04-19-2014, 02:04 PM)joyfuldolls Wrote: Sue the paint I have in stock are vein blue , yellow ochre and blush red are these suitable to use when painting an ethnic doll.

thank you

Joy

Hi Joy,
they should be fine although not sure about the red ... it needs to be as close to pure red as possible ..... I have not tried the blush red .. I guess you could try it and see how it goes ....let me know how it goes !

Pure red looks like this
[Image: 9f699f3f-bc32-4c4d-8db9-5a87bef0b7a4_zps9852a73b.jpg]
Cheers
Sue
[Image: babies32.gif]

Liveffects Nursery-Reborn Baby Dolls
http://staormin4.wix.com/liveffects-nursery-1
Thank you Sue for your reply I will buy the red as you have suggested such a help

Joy
Hello Sue, I have had some difficulty in painting my first AA baby, I used the colors you described (red, yellow blue) repeating this 4 times (total 12 ) I then tried to shade the face but found the previous layers came away. I baked at the right temperature for 8 minutes after each color. I tried to patch it but the paint would not stick to the vinyl, I had to remove all the paint and will start again I wondered where I have gone wrong.

thank you

Joy
(05-28-2014, 08:33 PM)joyfuldolls Wrote: Hello Sue, I have had some difficulty in painting my first AA baby, I used the colors you described (red, yellow blue) repeating this 4 times (total 12 ) I then tried to shade the face but found the previous layers came away. I baked at the right temperature for 8 minutes after each color. I tried to patch it but the paint would not stick to the vinyl, I had to remove all the paint and will start again I wondered where I have gone wrong.

thank you

Joy

WOW ! I dont know what went wrong there...... all i can think of is the oven was not hot enough ... are you preheating the oven cos if not the time the oven is at the right temperature is lessened by the warm up process....... also you need to make sure the the paint has ''flashed off'' or dried properly before baking!....I generally only bake after each ''round'' of colours ( make sure each coat has dried before applying the next colour)
Cheers
Sue
[Image: babies32.gif]

Liveffects Nursery-Reborn Baby Dolls
http://staormin4.wix.com/liveffects-nursery-1
Sue thank you very much for your reply, I will make sure the oven is hot and will let you know how I get on. I am 72 years old so the brain does not work so well as time goes bye. It is very good of you to take time to help people with their doll making.

Bye for now

Joy
Sue is it possible to use these colors in air dry paints? I have recently painted a doll using your tutorial with GHS paints and very pleased with the skin tone (African/American) the problem I had was the many times (24) I had to cook it, I did blister the hand on one arm of the doll and had to buy another set of arms which is why I would like to use the air dry paints to avoid this problem, I was careful with the temperature keeping it at 130C. I have not used air dry paints before and wondered which would be the best to buy.

Thank you very much for your help.
cooking between every coat is not needed, you can do a few coats before you dry. The drying every coat is a little on the over kill side but many artists feel it is needed as they have been told is a must. If you contact genesis they will also tell you it is not needed and if you think about it artists who use genesis on canvas make the paint really thick before they dry it.

I dry once only and that is at the end of the process AND I use a heat gun, I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. I Often suggest people contact the maker of the paints they use and ask them for advise. Most suppliers of the paints we use only go by what they hear or are told and generally it is not by the makers of the paints.

You would not go to a butchers to buy bread so getting it from the horses mouth is always the better option.

cheers
[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com

Save
thank you very much Andama I am amzed that this is the case, I have been reborning dolls for around 2 years and have always thought that I had to heat the paint after each time this will make it so much easier as you can imagine it took me hours and hours to paint it 24 times. I am trying to do this doll as well as I can to include it in our annual doll show here in Tasmania.
After a make a Caucasian baby, I'd like to make a biracial baby and since I am Caucasian, I am not as acquainted with biracial and AA skin tones, so this helps immensely.

One of the kits I have looks like it would be more suited to make it as biracial or AA.
One of our members has a facebook site that has a great tutorial on how to make an AA baby

I will track it down and load it for you

cheers
[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com

Save