Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bountiful Babies
04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Bountiful Babies
There has been much chatter online the past few days about the quality of Bountiful babies kits and I was really surprised to read so much negative feed about them. So many people are saying they have ordered kits, been given seconds then offered a discount but no replacement.
I actually find this a little disturbing as one or two case may be a mistake but the number of people talking about receiving seconds does make me wonder, sooooo who here has had issues with Bountiful babies kits.

The other thing I am also hearing lots about is how grey many of the kits are and that some people find them difficult to work with in the aspect that they take much more work to reborn. I know their kits are made in china and people use Bountiful babies because of price but these complaints are all new and up until a few months ago we heard very little negative feed back about them.
I do not buy from Bountiful babies but I would like to hear from those who and do and if you feel that their quality and service is slipping.

cheers

cheers

[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com
www.extraordinarythings.com.au
[Image: Andama-2.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
RE: Bountiful Babies
That happened to me. I bought a Meg by Marissa May, paid for it plus $40 for postage. The head had a small hole in it. I emailed them and they said to sand it with sand paper. I wrote back and said I didn't buy one of your "seconds' kit and it wasnt o sale so I shouldnt have to be repairing it. I was one othe luckier ones tho, they sent out a replacement head xx

Cherie Ann Smile

Berry Cute Babies
04-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I have only ever purchased one Bountiful Baby kit, Sienna by Denise Pratt. I was sold a seconds kit "by mistake" off of ebay but I bought from an individual rather than from BB themselves, so I can't attribute that to the company.

I did find that the kit had a grey palor to it and it took several washes before I felt the kit had a good base color to start with. Because I am inexperienced with reborning, in some small way, this ended up being a good thing. Through all of the issues I found with this kit, it forced me to deal with the learning curve head-on. While I may only have 2 completed babies to my name, I have managed to experience a multitude of "problems" that I've had to address. I feel much more confident now that I will be able to handle any future "problem kits" I may encounter.

I had put my Sienna kit on hold for a few days and started working on a new kit. With the new kit (Jessy by Manga Dolls) I found that he took paint sooo easily. It leads me to believe that the Sienna kit was particularly difficult by comparison. What I could achieve in one or two layers on the Jessy kit took me perhaps 5-6 layers on the Sienna kit. Having not experienced many kits before, I didn't even realise how much more difficult she was to work with.

There is the possibility that I just happened to get a particularly good Jessy kit and a particularly not-so-good Sienna kit, but the reborning process on them has been like night and day.

It has been enough of a disparity that I have decided that I don't wish to purchase anymore Bountiful Baby kits. I wouldn't say that decision is for everyone. There are plenty of people who have had nothing but good experiences working with the BB kits. I was not one of those people. I consider myself lucky that I only bought the one BB kit at that time. I would feel like SUCH a fool if I had one bad experience and ended up giving them the benefit of the doubt only to receive another problem kit. I would feel like I had asked to be "had." There are way too many other beautiful kits out there to take my chances with.

Besides, living in Germany, BB kits are not that much cheaper for me to get by the time I factor in shipping charges and customs fees, if at all.

[Image: silvery_moon_small.png]

Reborn doll artist Sharla Field

Be sure to visit my website!
www.silverymooncherubs.com
04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I buy very few BB kits these days due to them having changed their vinyls. Maree (Duffy) and I worked on one in class as a bonus so she knew how to neutralise the grey, it took a lot of work to get to a nice starting point that it no longer looked like a deathly pallor. Some can be neutralised in about 4 layers others can take between 10 and 20 depending on how grey they are and how thin you mix your paints. My Rosebud took about 4 layers, yet I know some people claim to have done 20 layers before getting to a stage they felt was pinkish enough to work on. I am about to start work on a BB kit but going to do her ethnic so for the tone I am after I need to get her to the equivalent of their old pink vinyl before I can start on the actual ethnic palette, that is going to take a bit of work.

Lyn Keppler

[Image: header-lynkproducts.jpg]

http://lynkproducts.com.au
I make doll bodies too........ see my online store.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
I've bought many BB kits and have only ever had.1 problem with a hole in a leg, they sent a replacement with an order I placed around the same time.
I haven't ordered for a while but my blinkin and nod kits seem to be the horrible grey colour. Nicole Russell had a tute on her FB page on how to nuturalize it.

[Image: IMG_7475.jpg]

http://www.madewithloverebornnursery.com
04-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Here is what I posted in another thread about the grey vinyl from BB.

the grey vinyls often look better with a mix of washes. Start of with a pink flesh layer made from flesh 07, red 05, a touch of ultramarine blue. It will make a pretty salmon color. Do a couple of thin layers of this.
Then add a peach flesh color made from the pink flesh tone above, then add a bit of yellow ochre to make it peachy colored. Do one one layer of this then add a layer of flesh 08 with a touch of red 07 to make it a little pink. This final layer is much the same as BB's baby skin colour.
This is how I neutralised my BB Rosebud kit, but when Maree (Duffy) was trying to neutralise her BB kit we need to do a few of these layers to get it more natural looking.

Lyn Keppler

04-14-2012, 10:55 AM
There is a lot of extra work involved when using grey kits and it is such a shame that Bountiful baby changed their vinyl.

cheers

[Image: happy_flamingo.gif]
Andama Dujon
www.reborndollsaustralia.com
www.extraordinarythings.com.au
[Image: Andama-2.jpg]
04-14-2012, 11:16 AM
It sure is a lot of work in some cases. We had to do so many layers on Maree's kit that had it been a neutral kit to begin with we would have had bubs finished in the amount of work it took to get it to a "neutral" type state to even start painting properly.

Lyn Keppler

04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I also find the vinyl is not only a grey color but harder and not as good to work with. I have stopped buying their kits unless it is a request kit. When rooting I find the heads after being painted leave hole marks also and you have to be careful. I think they are having production problems since they started producing all the new kits it seems their quality has gone down hill. I still like them for supplies though. Also a lot of their kits are so hard that they just loose the realism.

[Image: Judymae.jpg]
04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I bought 4 BB kits and 3 remain unfinished; the one kit I bought secondhand, which I believe was purchased before BB changed their vinyl and that's the only kit that took paint well enough that I got her finished.
In my opinion BB's do not take paint very well. I had to go over the same vein at least a dozen times for it to be visible the way it should be - for every single vein - it gets to feel a little frustrating.

BB's customer service is very kind. But their shipping charges are unrealistic, and their kits are difficult for me.

~jessica
Baby Blues is now Pastel Prints Nursery

[Image: babyfeetzlogo2y.jpg]